Skip to main content

Auckland to Invercargill prayer-walk: the preparation

On 25 March I will set out for my longest prayer-walk yet. Auckland to Invercargill; Over 1600km in 60 days.

I felt it would be good to test my equipment and the weight I will carry ... Just so I can be confident to start the prayer-walk with my full attention on praying from the very start.

This weekend I did a practise-prayer-walk, camping / sleeping on the ground / eating the kind of foods I would be having (vegies, nuts, raisins, bananas, water etc) / praying and being led by God to minister and pray.

Now I know one thing for sure: This prayer-walk will be for the glory of the Lor. The glory of God to be manifest in New Zealand. Leading to a deepening of relationships with God ... revival

It is to be stated here that the prayer-walker has no special level of faithfulness or holiness ... no qualifications or bible-knowledge; except being available AND has been allowed to do this because of God's faithfullness and God's love.

While planning the prayer-walk, I had to lay down many things:

Firstly I thought it would be a good opportunity to incorporate my current praying for a million people (the total is currently 240 000). This would be the ideal opportunity to probably reach that 1 000 000 people I have been counting towards ... "No", whispered the Lord one day ... this is about praying for New Zealand, and praying for specifics as He will lead me - it is not about my human achievement - counting for how many I could pray
... And I got perfect peace in my heart.

Then I researched to see what the fastest time was in which anyone ever walked the whole of New Zealand, and I worked out I could better the time by quite a few days ... "No", whispered the Lord one day ... this is about praying for New Zealand, and praying for specifics as He will lead me - it is not about my human achievement - seeing in how few days I could do it
... And I got perfect peace in my heart.

The I got challenged in my heart to cut out a part of the route and only do the Auckland to Invercargill part ... "Yes", whispered the Lord one day ... this is about praying for New Zealand, and praying for specifics as He will lead me - it is not about my human achievement - doing the whole route from the top to bottom of New Zealand
... And I got perfect peace in my heart.

"Peet", whispered the Lord one day ... this is about praying for New Zealand, and preparing a way for Him. And there will be a need for many intercessors to pray for you as you walk
... And I got perfect peace in my heart.
... Will you be one of those praying for me? Do you have peace?

We will be praying for this
Isaiah 40:
3 A voice cries:
In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD;
make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
4 Every valley shall be lifted up,
and every mountain and hill be made low;
the uneven ground shall become level,
and the rough places a plain.
5 And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed,
and all flesh shall see it together,
for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

This weekend was a wonderful foretaste - and if this is what it is going to be like for 60 days, I will be a changed person when I return. And New Zealand will be changed. And the spiritual atmosphere will be changed.

As I started walking, I felt impressed that it is the lack of knowledge and a map that got me walking around in circles. I got an understanding of how God's Word is a spiritual map, which can give us direction. That was how I started praying over the area i was walking in ... that god's Word would be read; reinstated in public schools; become the basis for the government; that New Zealanders will become "hungry" for the Word of God.

As I continued walking, there was this burden that overcame me as I passed a specific house. It brought tears to my eyes. A person in that stone house has a dream and a vision ... that house cannot contain the incedible hugeness of the dream and vision - and is in fact keeping the person from moving on into their real purpose and destiny.

Halfway up a high hill was a big and beautiful house - and such a sadness came from that house - a depression ... and rejection. It was a woman. I just sat across from that house under a tree and prayed. After some time I could feel the sadness lift off my heart - in a marvellous way. I really believe that when we pray, the spiritual atmosphere changes.

This was just the start. Other practical things need to be sorted: I need to rethink my bag - less clothes, more dried foods, smaller towel (micro-fleece), warmer sleeping bag ... and maybe that water-proof lightweight bible which I saw in the bookstore.

On Sunday morning I was up early - in fact I was ready 2 hours before church was to start.

I felt a nudge in my heart to pray for the youth in the South of Auckland ... and to go prayer-walk in the area.

I opened the telephone directory and the name of a church in Papakura (in South Auckland) kind of stood out from the rest.

The train stopped just about around the corner from Gateway Church where I attended and after worship which almost didn't end, experienced teaching from the heart of the Lord about worship ... which had many people in the service on their faces in worship before the Lord.

After the service I started walking the area and felt to pray for the churches in the area to be recognised by the local council as the best medium through which the youth could be reached and kept off the street and from crime. And that the Lord would bring His "body" in the South of Auckland in unity and for them to come up with innovative solutions to bring the youth into a Godly upbringing and offer God-inspired activities. And to be able to speak life and biblical truths into the youth's lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The pastors-puzzle prayer-walk

Standing at the closed gate of Fisherman's Village, I needed to phone reception to open the gate. The sun was bright and I couldn't see the screen of my phone clearly. I pressed the wrong button and dialled the wrong number. William answered - he is one of two pastors who I met during a recent Holy Spirit conference - we were both delegates! It was good to hear his voice and we had a short chat. The gate opened and I entered the main office. There was a visitor - another delegate from the conference. The other of the two pastors whom I met at the conference! Both of the two pastors - not only brought to my remembrance, but brought into contact in person! How WOW is that ... Coincidence? I don't think so! ... and now I am inviting you to follow me online in my quest to see what God has in mind for me and the 2 pastor friends. Prayer-walking from William's house in Soweto to Pitso's place off the Dikhololo road on the other side of Brits. On the previous

"Ancient wells" Prayerwalk

After prayerwalking from Kimberley to Gariep dam with that profound first day spanning 66km to the centre of South Africa, Father laid on my heart to do another prayerwalk: Kimberley to Kuruman. To my question "What is in Kuruman", He answered I should do some research. Keeping in mind that the 66 books point to the bible and how I felt to pray that the bible will become central again. Actually more than central - the centre and the cornerstone in schools, business, government, and even many churches. Where Petrusburg was first founded in the middle of South Africa, the fountain dried up. The town was relocated to its current position 20 km away. The fountain in the middle of South Africa dried up! Kuruman, in the dry expanse of the Kalahari basin boasts an inexhaustible sweetwater fountain.  It has never dried out, even in the longest drought periods. It produces 20 million litres of water  daily. The first bible in Africa was p

13 Churches ... 13 August ... ONE Prayer

I am organising a prayerwalk through a local community. I have counted and included 13 churches on the route and we will pray for each church as we pass them by. The invitation I make to members of those churches is that if they feel the area needs prayer, they can join in at any of the sections on the route. There are various distances - ranging from 100 meters onwards. A real exciting thing in this is that they may meet someone from a different church who prays the same as they do. But the most exciting will be that we will go out onto the streets, walking and talking to the Lord. Some prayers are prayed just under our breath like a whisper, some just in our thoughts and some out loud and some even in song and some even just as the Holy Spirit leads us ... I encourage them just to come and pray as they feel comfortable. I tell you this because you can be part of this ... even though many of the names on this mailing list are in countries all over the world - we know the Lord is not b