Skip to main content

How to Prayerwalk


I walk your soil ... I feel your wind
... and I breath your air

I drink your water ... I meet your people
... and I bless you with my prayer



How to prayerwalk.

I want to emphasize at the outset that prayerwalking is firstly about the prayer ... the talking with God. If your heart is right in this, the walking will follow naturally. It does not matter how you walk but how your heart is before Him.

Guidelines

I don't have a 5-step plan. Prayerwalking is a very individual activity, which will differ from person to person. Here then are some basic suggestions to help you get a better understanding or maybe to motivate you to press in further than where you currently are in your spiritual walk with the Lord.
Practical suggestions:

  • First just check that your clothing and shoes are so that you wouldn't get uncomfortable. We want to concentrate on the praying.
  • Will there be watering points, or should you carry a water bottle, or money for some treat on the way.
  • Hats and cream for the sun (if you are in Africa for example)
  • If you are in any way unsure of your safety, take someone with - or at least carry a cell phone. I am not saying we
    should not trust the Lord for our safety - I am just encouraging good stewardship and a common sense approach. (smile)


Walking tips:

  • Tip number one for me is let the Lord guide your route, speed, topics to pray and how big the group should be. I suggest to say to a group beforehand that I may change the route as we are on the walk - and they should just feel free to let the Lord prompt them to come with or stay on the route.
  • Preparation
    You may sit with Him beforehand and plan it. Just praying: Lord please guide me in planning the route and the time and the prayer.
  • Warming up
    I sometimes start of by just walking casually - to get the muscles in motion ... warmed up. At this time I don't pray very focussed. At most maybe starting to talk to the Lord, asking for guidance as I prepare to start. This is also a good time to get your heart right before the Lord, repenting of any sins and asking forgiveness and committing to a pure walk. This is also a time that the distractive thoughts seem to come and go - but just let it ... later in the walk it normally fades away.
  • Brisk and fast walking
    When I feel my body is warmed up I move into a brisk walk. When I walk at a fast speed - I usually pray "outward". Meaning i concentrate on praying for whatever is on my list. I don't listen much for answers or insights at this speed.
    Try higher speeds some times. (Being a trained racewalker, I can attain high speeds and that is a very focused activity - which I have found a very powerful vehicle for prayer)
  • Casual walking
    Let the Lord guide you about your speed. I find that I pray "inward" when I walk casually. Meaning that this is the time I often hear the Lord speak His heart to me. How I just love it when the Lord shows me things and reveals things to me on a walk ... and even lets me talk back and tell Him what I feel.


Praying (Talking) tips:

  • Volume
    I regulate the volume according to where I am. Sometimes it is good to just ask the Lord to guide in this in being sensitive to the people around you.
  • Words
    Pray like you normally would pray. This is just extending your prayers to the outside of church and your house.
  • Types of prayer
    I don't think any type of prayer is prohibited while you walk ... as long as you let the Holy Spirit guide you. You can intercede, do warfare, praise,or just worship Him. What I find is often the types of prayer will alternate according to what is being prayed for.
    I do feel if you walk in another country - while you breath that air, drink that water and tread that soil - it is a good time for praying for that country - and asking the Lord to reveal to you what you can pray for. I find that happens by just praying. Just start, and then as you pray - you may find you are led in an area of prayer - just start praying in general and follow the nudging in your heart.
    Sometimes I sing over the area as I walk. Sometimes I whistle. This can work well even if there are people around you - whistle or hum the song even over them. Just be careful as you follow the leading of the Lord.
  • Special blessings
    Sometimes you will be just blessed by feeling His manifest presence over you as you walk. If that happens, just enjoy it. And let Him show you if this is just for you to enjoy or whether you should take it to the nation ... I have found that many times He just blesses me as I offer the time for Him.

Feedback:

  • Give it
    I believe to give any words to people that you may get along the walk. Whether you have to stop and talk to someone or whether you have to phone or email someone afterwards. This I normally do as soon as I can - before i forget the words or before it is too late - If it is encouragement it is best to give it while they still need it hey.

I just bless you as you move your prayers outside your closet and church to the countries and the people. In Jesus Name I bless you with as much a return of blessings as you pray over others
Tell me if you also go on a prayerwalk (peet@afrowalk.com)

* I refer to a prayerwalk as "afrowalk" because it is the name I felt the Lord gave me personally to use for this activity of walking with Him in the physical as well as in the spirit, here in sunny Africa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The pastors-puzzle prayer-walk

Standing at the closed gate of Fisherman's Village, I needed to phone reception to open the gate. The sun was bright and I couldn't see the screen of my phone clearly. I pressed the wrong button and dialled the wrong number. William answered - he is one of two pastors who I met during a recent Holy Spirit conference - we were both delegates! It was good to hear his voice and we had a short chat. The gate opened and I entered the main office. There was a visitor - another delegate from the conference. The other of the two pastors whom I met at the conference! Both of the two pastors - not only brought to my remembrance, but brought into contact in person! How WOW is that ... Coincidence? I don't think so! ... and now I am inviting you to follow me online in my quest to see what God has in mind for me and the 2 pastor friends. Prayer-walking from William's house in Soweto to Pitso's place off the Dikhololo road on the other side of Brits. On the previous

"Ancient wells" Prayerwalk

After prayerwalking from Kimberley to Gariep dam with that profound first day spanning 66km to the centre of South Africa, Father laid on my heart to do another prayerwalk: Kimberley to Kuruman. To my question "What is in Kuruman", He answered I should do some research. Keeping in mind that the 66 books point to the bible and how I felt to pray that the bible will become central again. Actually more than central - the centre and the cornerstone in schools, business, government, and even many churches. Where Petrusburg was first founded in the middle of South Africa, the fountain dried up. The town was relocated to its current position 20 km away. The fountain in the middle of South Africa dried up! Kuruman, in the dry expanse of the Kalahari basin boasts an inexhaustible sweetwater fountain.  It has never dried out, even in the longest drought periods. It produces 20 million litres of water  daily. The first bible in Africa was p

13 Churches ... 13 August ... ONE Prayer

I am organising a prayerwalk through a local community. I have counted and included 13 churches on the route and we will pray for each church as we pass them by. The invitation I make to members of those churches is that if they feel the area needs prayer, they can join in at any of the sections on the route. There are various distances - ranging from 100 meters onwards. A real exciting thing in this is that they may meet someone from a different church who prays the same as they do. But the most exciting will be that we will go out onto the streets, walking and talking to the Lord. Some prayers are prayed just under our breath like a whisper, some just in our thoughts and some out loud and some even in song and some even just as the Holy Spirit leads us ... I encourage them just to come and pray as they feel comfortable. I tell you this because you can be part of this ... even though many of the names on this mailing list are in countries all over the world - we know the Lord is not b