Skip to main content

Kameel prayerwalk

Earlier in the week, Stella and Kameel were listed as towns in the North West Province where farmers were still suffering heavily following the worst drought since 1933. That was my key, after a few weeks of trying to find God's heart for prayerwalking in the area. The name Kameel means "camel". A camel is a very self-sufficient animal who can survive very hot and arid conditions. It also symbolises a servant's heart or bearing a burden, even endurance or a desert journey.
I was ready for my next prayer trek. I started the journey at 03h00, travelling to Stella. I set out for the the first leg of the prayerwalk from Stella to Kameel. The first person I spoke to said that this drought was already lasting 2 years. They had a little rain the previous week but they needed much more.
I looked at the area with its fresh green grass and I thought to myself that it didn't look too bad. I thought about the effort I have put in to get here, just to find that things actually looked better than what I expected. I saw 4 glaring vultures sitting on a power pole, and I realised: This area still needs lots of prayer!
Kameel (Camel)
It was already hot as I start prayerwalking early in the morning. A local farmer stopped and asked what I was doing, walking on that lonely road. I started explaining about the prayerwalk. He listened intently and asked me to explain more. I told him about God and about my walk with Him. He pulled his vehicle off the road and asked me to tell him more. I did and then we prayed together. I witnessed an ancient well bursting forth... Uncontrollable tears.
Beyond Wirsing the road started blending in with the surroundings. After more than 2 hour's prayerwalking, I lost track of the faint road as well as part of my sense of direction. In the barren landscape, I started to pray. "Lord Jesus, I am really lost. I desperately need You to help me here. Please would show me which way I should go..." Before finishing that prayer, I heard someone whistling. I turned around and there were 3 young boys on bicycles. They helped me find my direction and rode on their bikes to the place I had to turn and I still hear their words ringing - "That way, just go straight, straight, STRAIGHT..."

Beyond Wirsing
The whole day,  I prayed (amongst other things) also for rain. At a small store along the way, the owner was very excited to meet me and was touched when I prayed for his business and for rain. He looked almost amused about the rain coat which I carried with me. At sunset there was a heavy dust storm brewing and the whole of the horizon was brown-orange, almost like a huge curtain of dust. I asked a local resident if he thought it would rain and if I could take shelter with him in his home. He said yes, and as we walked towards his house, he looked at the coming dust storm and said to me: "Its just a dust storm. it never rains here." I asked him if he was sure, and he said yes. I decided to continue because I had arrangements to be back at the starting point near Stella.
The dust storm hit and it was massive. It didn't last for long, then it started to pour down with rain. What a wonderful feeling. I didn't mind the fact that it was now harder to walk because of the slippery mud.
I made my way through the mud passed a field of mealies (maize). It was still raining and that is when I heard one of the most endearing sounds. The drops of rain falling on the thirsting dry leaves in that field of maize sounded like a large crowd clapping their hands. I experienced God in the darkness and the rain trodding on the miry clay:
For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. (Isaiah 55:12, ESV)
I learned a valuable lesson while side-stepping muddy puddles, slipping on mud banks and carefully jumping over streams in the road:
If you pray for rain and for the heavens to open, you should also be willing to dance in the rain.

Comments

Peet Bekker
Submitted on 2014/01/30 at 10:48 pm
Dis so goed, Willem. Dankie, ja ek sal graag wil ontmoet en sommer saam dankiesê vir ons Vader se voorsiening en liefde.

Willem Pretorius
Submitted on 2014/01/30 at 4:57 pm
Ek boer langs die pad van Kameel na Wirsing en so spuit ek het nie van jou staptog geweet nie,ek sou graag ‘n ent saam wou stap en bid,maar wie weet dalk is daar weer ‘n geleentheid in die toekoms.Baie dankie vir jou gebede vir ons wat jy nie eens ken nie,ons het darem intussen heerlik reën gekry en die mielies is mooi.

Popular posts from this blog

The pastors-puzzle prayer-walk

Standing at the closed gate of Fisherman's Village, I needed to phone reception to open the gate. The sun was bright and I couldn't see the screen of my phone clearly. I pressed the wrong button and dialled the wrong number. William answered - he is one of two pastors who I met during a recent Holy Spirit conference - we were both delegates! It was good to hear his voice and we had a short chat. The gate opened and I entered the main office. There was a visitor - another delegate from the conference. The other of the two pastors whom I met at the conference! Both of the two pastors - not only brought to my remembrance, but brought into contact in person! How WOW is that ... Coincidence? I don't think so! ... and now I am inviting you to follow me online in my quest to see what God has in mind for me and the 2 pastor friends. Prayer-walking from William's house in Soweto to Pitso's place off the Dikhololo road on the other side of Brits. On the previous

"Ancient wells" Prayerwalk

After prayerwalking from Kimberley to Gariep dam with that profound first day spanning 66km to the centre of South Africa, Father laid on my heart to do another prayerwalk: Kimberley to Kuruman. To my question "What is in Kuruman", He answered I should do some research. Keeping in mind that the 66 books point to the bible and how I felt to pray that the bible will become central again. Actually more than central - the centre and the cornerstone in schools, business, government, and even many churches. Where Petrusburg was first founded in the middle of South Africa, the fountain dried up. The town was relocated to its current position 20 km away. The fountain in the middle of South Africa dried up! Kuruman, in the dry expanse of the Kalahari basin boasts an inexhaustible sweetwater fountain.  It has never dried out, even in the longest drought periods. It produces 20 million litres of water  daily. The first bible in Africa was p

13 Churches ... 13 August ... ONE Prayer

I am organising a prayerwalk through a local community. I have counted and included 13 churches on the route and we will pray for each church as we pass them by. The invitation I make to members of those churches is that if they feel the area needs prayer, they can join in at any of the sections on the route. There are various distances - ranging from 100 meters onwards. A real exciting thing in this is that they may meet someone from a different church who prays the same as they do. But the most exciting will be that we will go out onto the streets, walking and talking to the Lord. Some prayers are prayed just under our breath like a whisper, some just in our thoughts and some out loud and some even in song and some even just as the Holy Spirit leads us ... I encourage them just to come and pray as they feel comfortable. I tell you this because you can be part of this ... even though many of the names on this mailing list are in countries all over the world - we know the Lord is not b