Skip to main content

More than just tall tales and a Jerepigo sip

Prayer-walking from Groot Marico to Ventersdorp. Exactly 153km!

I was invited to speak at a church meeting in Ventersdorp. This gave me the oppportunity to continue on one of the previous prayer-walks which ended in Groot Marico.

I plotted the route and my heart jumped with surprise when I saw the total distance Groot Marico - Lichtenburg - Ventersdorp was 153km. This was the third time that the total distance of a prayer-walk worked out to be exactly 153km. I recognised the number 153 from the bible. A few of the disciples went out fishing. They didn’t catch anything for the whole night. They returned to shore at daybreak when Jesus prompted them to cast the net out on the other side. They cast it and were not able to haul it in, because it was full of fish. In fact the bible states: 153 large fish! (So Simon Peter climbed back into the boat and dragged the net ashore. It was full of large fish, 153, but even with so many the net was not torn. (John 21:11, NIV)) This number is symbolic for the “sons of God”, which ties in with the scripture that I feel in my heart to be important for this prayer-walk: Creation is waiting and longing (eagerly) for the revealing of the “sons of God” (For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. (Romans 8:19, ESV)). Bearing in mind that any person who is led by the Spirit of God is “son of God” (For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. (Romans 8:14, ESV)). 

I took the bus from Johannesburg to Groot Marico, where I slept over before starting the prayer-walk. 

Just outside the town I crossed over the Marico river. This had great significance because the name Marico was derived from a Tswana word meaning “Drenched with Blood”, referencing a battle in 1823 in the Marico River valley, where one of the largest Tswana towns in southern Africa at that time (Kaditshwene), was completely destroyed.

This prayer-walk started from a river referencing blood and ended six days later on the farm Elandskuil at a small river called Schoonspruit (Clean stream). The whole route that I have walked has a history of battles and being polluted by blood. My prayer is that the sign speaks prophetically of how the blood of Jesus purifies and makes clean (Schoon) (how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. (Hebrews 9:14, ESV) / But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. (I John 1:7, ESV)).


Breakfast by the dry river

By sunset of day one, I was about 40km out of Groot Marico. I pitched my tent next to the road and slept for 11 hours. Before breakfast that morning, after walking another 8km, I saw a small bridge over a dry river bed, it was be ideal for a breakfast seat. I have just unpacked my food when a bakkie (small truck) came riding over the farm in my direction. It was the farmer, and he stopped on the other side of the fence. We greeted and he asked me what I was doing. I told him about the prayer-walk upon which he responded by asking me to remember to pray for him too. Then he battled to hold back his tears …

He told me his life story and how, at 80, he now stands before major changes in his life. We prayed together and I thank God that I witnessed on that weathered face, a re-opening of ancient wells.

Church by the shop

In the afternoon, about 25km before, Lichtenburg I stopped for bread and fruit at Calesonia township. While having a rest and enjoying lunch outside the shop, a group of men approached me and asked about my journey. While we were speaking someone pointed to a man carrying a bunch of fire-wood on his head. I was told that this man was a local pastor. Some of the men in the group called him over. This sparked a spiritual fire and within minutes there was a church meeting going on - out there on the street. Some gave testimonies, some taught from the bible and then we prayed. Awesome how that happened in the street in front of the shop!!

Miracle Fountain


For at least an hour before arriving in Lichtenburg, God laid on my heart something very weird. To be honest, I wondered if it was God speaking or if it were my own thoughts.

This prayer-walk is the third of which the total distance is exactly 153 km. I felt I would know I was at the right place when I saw a vehicle with 153 on its number plate. As I walked, I talked to God about it and He reminded me of another prayer-walk which was 172km. He spoke about looking out for this as a miraculous sign. Just outside Lichtenburg I saw a sign indicating Wonderfontein (Miracle fountain).

It was around supper time and I developed a craving for Fish and Chips. I walked to a Fish and Chips Shop and placed my order. I went outside to sit on a bench and wait for my order number to be called. There was a vehicle parked in front of the shop, right in front of me - on the registration plate was the number “153”! I was still trying to recover from the surprise when I heard the next order number being called: “172”! This order was the for the people in vehicle with the number “153”!

When my order was called, no customers were left in the shop. The shop assistants asked about my prayer-walk. We started talking and I shared some testimonies - it wasn’t long then that Fish and Chips shop turned into a house of prayer!

I witnessed the opening of a Miracle Fountain in Lichtenburg, the City of Light.

Putfontein and Sweethome! 
There were 2 places I still had to pass on this prayer-walk: Putfontein and Sweethome! 

Late in the afternoon I arrived at Putfontein. The word “Put” means “a well” and “fontein” means “ a fountain” ... At a well you draw water. At a fountain the water comes out by itself. 

Putfontein was a small village consisting mostly of tin shacks. I turned from the road to top up my supplies. I found a small shop and while I was there I sat down to put the supplies that I just purchased into my backpack. 

A group of men gathered around me and we spoke about why I was there. A little bit later as I left to continue on my journey, a man from the village stopped me and gave me 2 apples and a packet of peanuts for my journey - as a gift.

Suddenly I understood the prophetic meaning of the name Putfontein. I came to a well, and when I left, the well turned into a fountain. When the well becomes a fountain, you’re on your way to  “Sweethome”!

About roots, wells and fountains
The reason why I went on this prayer-walk was because of an invitation by a home church in Ventersdorp. The name of this home church was Rehoboth congregation. The name Rehoboth means: “For now the LORD has made room for us, and we shall be fruitful in the land.”


A few people from the Rehoboth congregation walked with me for that last stretch. We proclaimed that all the blood shed on the land and in the water was indeed purified and made clean by the blood of Jesus and that the living water would bubble out - even in the valley of the shadow of death. (Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever. (Psalms 23:4-6, ESV))

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The pastors-puzzle prayer-walk

Standing at the closed gate of Fisherman's Village, I needed to phone reception to open the gate. The sun was bright and I couldn't see the screen of my phone clearly. I pressed the wrong button and dialled the wrong number. William answered - he is one of two pastors who I met during a recent Holy Spirit conference - we were both delegates! It was good to hear his voice and we had a short chat. The gate opened and I entered the main office. There was a visitor - another delegate from the conference. The other of the two pastors whom I met at the conference! Both of the two pastors - not only brought to my remembrance, but brought into contact in person! How WOW is that ... Coincidence? I don't think so! ... and now I am inviting you to follow me online in my quest to see what God has in mind for me and the 2 pastor friends. Prayer-walking from William's house in Soweto to Pitso's place off the Dikhololo road on the other side of Brits. On the previous

"Ancient wells" Prayerwalk

After prayerwalking from Kimberley to Gariep dam with that profound first day spanning 66km to the centre of South Africa, Father laid on my heart to do another prayerwalk: Kimberley to Kuruman. To my question "What is in Kuruman", He answered I should do some research. Keeping in mind that the 66 books point to the bible and how I felt to pray that the bible will become central again. Actually more than central - the centre and the cornerstone in schools, business, government, and even many churches. Where Petrusburg was first founded in the middle of South Africa, the fountain dried up. The town was relocated to its current position 20 km away. The fountain in the middle of South Africa dried up! Kuruman, in the dry expanse of the Kalahari basin boasts an inexhaustible sweetwater fountain.  It has never dried out, even in the longest drought periods. It produces 20 million litres of water  daily. The first bible in Africa was p

13 Churches ... 13 August ... ONE Prayer

I am organising a prayerwalk through a local community. I have counted and included 13 churches on the route and we will pray for each church as we pass them by. The invitation I make to members of those churches is that if they feel the area needs prayer, they can join in at any of the sections on the route. There are various distances - ranging from 100 meters onwards. A real exciting thing in this is that they may meet someone from a different church who prays the same as they do. But the most exciting will be that we will go out onto the streets, walking and talking to the Lord. Some prayers are prayed just under our breath like a whisper, some just in our thoughts and some out loud and some even in song and some even just as the Holy Spirit leads us ... I encourage them just to come and pray as they feel comfortable. I tell you this because you can be part of this ... even though many of the names on this mailing list are in countries all over the world - we know the Lord is not b