Skip to main content

Have you heard the one about Van der Merwe and the lost sheep?


A few weeks ago, early one morning, I embarked on a long prayer walk of over 70 km. The lonely dirt road to Murraysburg meandered through the mountains. The landscape changed throughout the morning and the road led into a dense poplar forest. The valley was covered with hundreds of enormous trees. As I walked among the soaring timbers, I heard the magnificent sound of the wind coming and going through the treetops. 

Later that morning, the dirt road became steeper and ultimately crossed over a mountain. A few hours later, there was a long descent next to a deep ravine with a dense forest of trees. I listened out for the wind in the treetops when a trio of horses suddenly emerged from the shadows and galloped playfully past me. My excitement was so great that I didn't even notice the car stopping beside me.

I was still enjoying the beautiful scenery and the peaceful silence when a voice behind me asked, "Where on earth are you walking to?" My head jerked around in shock. The farmer burst into the most infectious laugh I have heard in a long time. I could not contain my laughter and after a good chuckle, I explained that I was on my way to Murraysburg. The farmer then had another good laugh about this too. As we laughed together, I tried to understand why this was so hilarious.

"No man, you're going the wrong way. You're on the way to Richmond." After we laughed together again, I was not sure whether he was joking or not.

"Let me take you back to where you missed the turn-off." He then told me that he had seen me walking past on his security cameras. "I saw you walking past on the screen and showed my wife. She suggested that I go and investigate."

She also told him: "I can see that man is on a mission."

He didn’t drop me off at the turn-off but took me to his house. In the kitchen he introduced me to his wife and invited me to sit at the table. I was spoiled with delicious food from the stove, plus soft drinks and cake!

The farmer offered to drop me off at the proper turn-off to Murraysburg on the other side of his farm. But first he had to go check something with his sheep.

While he was away, his wife explained that it was their last day to shear sheep, and the wool had to be delivered to Port Elizabeth the next day. They would still be shearing sheep until late that evening.

The farmer picked me up a little while later and we headed to the right turn-off. As soon as I got out of the truck, he helped me to get my backpack on and waited until he was sure that I was on the right path before he drove back.

The surname of that sheep farmer who left all his sheep to go and find me is Van der Merwe. He went after me till he found me, and with joy, he brought me to his house.

The biblical shepherd who also left all his sheep to go after a sheep that was lost asked his neighbors and friends: Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost. The farmer and his wife rejoiced with me and served me a delicious meal.

Our visit was filled with the joy of the Lord.

A friend told me that Van der Merwe's life purpose was to make the South African nation laugh. Almost every Van der Merwe I know shares a deep spirituality. In these days of finding the "new normal", Van der Merwe's divine purpose unfolds into serving the nation with the joy of the Lord.

What a testimony!

Thy testimonies have I taken as a heritage for ever; For they are the rejoicing of my heart. (Psalm 119: 111)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The pastors-puzzle prayer-walk

Standing at the closed gate of Fisherman's Village, I needed to phone reception to open the gate. The sun was bright and I couldn't see the screen of my phone clearly. I pressed the wrong button and dialled the wrong number. William answered - he is one of two pastors who I met during a recent Holy Spirit conference - we were both delegates! It was good to hear his voice and we had a short chat. The gate opened and I entered the main office. There was a visitor - another delegate from the conference. The other of the two pastors whom I met at the conference! Both of the two pastors - not only brought to my remembrance, but brought into contact in person! How WOW is that ... Coincidence? I don't think so! ... and now I am inviting you to follow me online in my quest to see what God has in mind for me and the 2 pastor friends. Prayer-walking from William's house in Soweto to Pitso's place off the Dikhololo road on the other side of Brits. On the previous

"Ancient wells" Prayerwalk

After prayerwalking from Kimberley to Gariep dam with that profound first day spanning 66km to the centre of South Africa, Father laid on my heart to do another prayerwalk: Kimberley to Kuruman. To my question "What is in Kuruman", He answered I should do some research. Keeping in mind that the 66 books point to the bible and how I felt to pray that the bible will become central again. Actually more than central - the centre and the cornerstone in schools, business, government, and even many churches. Where Petrusburg was first founded in the middle of South Africa, the fountain dried up. The town was relocated to its current position 20 km away. The fountain in the middle of South Africa dried up! Kuruman, in the dry expanse of the Kalahari basin boasts an inexhaustible sweetwater fountain.  It has never dried out, even in the longest drought periods. It produces 20 million litres of water  daily. The first bible in Africa was p

13 Churches ... 13 August ... ONE Prayer

I am organising a prayerwalk through a local community. I have counted and included 13 churches on the route and we will pray for each church as we pass them by. The invitation I make to members of those churches is that if they feel the area needs prayer, they can join in at any of the sections on the route. There are various distances - ranging from 100 meters onwards. A real exciting thing in this is that they may meet someone from a different church who prays the same as they do. But the most exciting will be that we will go out onto the streets, walking and talking to the Lord. Some prayers are prayed just under our breath like a whisper, some just in our thoughts and some out loud and some even in song and some even just as the Holy Spirit leads us ... I encourage them just to come and pray as they feel comfortable. I tell you this because you can be part of this ... even though many of the names on this mailing list are in countries all over the world - we know the Lord is not b